Halloween is a time for parties, fun, and frivolity, as well as spookiness. So we’ve got a little party game for you all to try when you get your spook on this year. Halloween charades would be a great addition to any party you are having. Why not take a look at print out our cards today, and check out the other Halloween ideas we have for you too?
What is the origin of charades?
Charades is actually a 18th century parlour game invented by the French, and played regularly by household as entertainment for the whole household, often after dinner. Literary Charades was initially the most popular kind, based on what am I or who am I riddles. The traditional Acted Charades took over in 19th Century France, where people acted out the clues instead of having them in poetry form. It was made ever more popular in the U.K. by the Victorians and then the Edwardians, who embraced the fun nature of the game. The popularity continued into the modern day in the UK, particularly with the airing of the TV show Give us a Clue.
In the US, the history of Charades is much harder to trace, but was likely brought over by the British as it increased in popularity there.
What are the Halloween charades cards like?
We know that you like to see what you are getting from us, so here is the pack of charades for you. There are x pages within this pack, including:
- Cover sheet,
- Set of 18 charades cards to print out, and
- A complete set of 18 blank cards so that you can add your own ideas to the game.
The cards for charades include the following ideas for you:
- Black cat,
- Halloween candy,
- Haunted house,
- Mummy, and
- Trick or treating,
- Full moon,
- Jack o’ Lantern,
- Casting a spell,
- Warlock, and
Lots of ideas for you to start with, but we do have a few suggestions for extending the activity a little.
How to extend you Halloween charades party game?
There are a few ideas for extensions to this game, some of which increase general knowledge, and others really get the creative juices flowing for those taking part:
- Print out a few of the blank sheets, and think of different categories, such as films, books, characters, etc. Write the ideas for each of them on the blank sheets, and add these into the card sets.
- Transport yourself back to 18th century France and come up with some literary charades for the ideas on the cards that we have provided! Read them out, and see if the guests can do them with the literary clues rather than the acted out ones. If you are playing with younger children, acrostic poetry is a great way of doing this, with the first letter of each line being the letters in the word on the charades card.
- Play the games in teams, and if you team members don’t get the answers, then they have to do a scary forfeit!
- Instead of acting out the card, draw it and see who guesses what it is first,
- Make it! If you have any play dough, us this to make the ideas instead. If you don’t have any, we’ve got a great recipe for it. You can also try it with out Oobleck recipe too. As it is Halloween, perhaps you want to get a bit gloopy and use slime!
In order to download the game, all you need to do is click on the button below and it is yours!
We think you are going to love playing this, so let us know how you get on.
If you like this idea for your halloween party, why not check out some of the other ideas for Halloween on the site too?
We have also got some great Halloween ideas in our shop too, so don’t forget to check them out as well?
If you are looking for decor ideas, then here are some excellent ones from off the KiddyCharts site as well:
We hope you like the ideas we have here, why not sign up to our newsletter if you do?
Sign up for free kids ideas to your inbox as they are published
Thanks as always for coming to see us, and downloading these Halloween charades printables. We do hope that you come back again soon.