We all like a challenge don’t we? So previously, we have brought you loads of daily challenges on the site that both you and the kids can get stuck into, from 31 days of colouring, to mindfulness and happiness ideas. Today, we thought it’d be fun to do a challenge around exercise, so here we have the step challenge for you all the try. Hit your target every day for 30 days to bring yourself up to doing 10,000 steps a day. This challenge is perfect for kids and adults alike. It takes you gradually to your target, with a few rest days built in along the way.
Why get kids physically active
As adults, we all know the benefits of exercise, but it can be really hard to motivate ourselves. With this in mind, it is important to get the kids loving outdoors and being physical from a really early age. The sooner we grab their attention with being physical, the easier it is to persuade our kids that it is worth spending time on it. But, why is it important to get physically active when you are a kid?
There are a number of benefits to getting up and moving, playing, or having fun. These include:
- Reducing the chance of some of those pretty annoying illnesses when we are older, such as Type 2 Diabetes, Heart Disease, some Cancers, and High blood pressure,
- Improvements not just to physical health, but mental health too. Exercise is known to raise the happiness chemicals that help us experience pleasure (Endorphins), so that in turn helps us raise our spirits,
- Maintaining a healthy weight, which is the obvious one of course, but should be said. Exercise helps to keep us at a good weight, which is still important for kids, even though sometimes we might feel that they are burning off a lot of energy with the chaos they cause (!),
- Getting out and about, thanks to the clubs and societies that kids might enrol into as part of their exercise. Sports activities in particularly help here, but even if you like to exercise on your own, the positivity from doing so can have a knock on effect socially too for kids and adults alike,
- Improved sleep hygiene, put simply exercising helps us to sleep better as we are more tired, and this applies to kids too,
- Increased ability to learn and concentrate, and that has GOT to be a big bonus for kids. Those with ADHD in particular benefit from movement, and the exercise can help to decrease inattentiveness as well.
Show me to the 30-day step challenge
We have two step challenge sheets for you with ideas for how many steps you and the kids can do. Clearly, we are not professional here, so these are ball park figures, and it doesn’t constitute medical advice. Make sure you are taking into account physical fitness for what your kids and your targets are going to be.
If, looking at these, you are worried, then don’t – we have a blank set of the challenge for those that want to take it slower, or who need to take it slower for whatever reasons.
Sometimes it is all about ticking those achievements off, but also being careful and making sure that you don’t push yourself too hard. Everyone is an individual, and you know your limits, and your kids’ limits better than anyone else.
Above at the blank challenges, so you go at your pace. It is important, as with everything, to set those achievable goals. Why not check out our goal for children worksheets as well to learn more about SMART goals?
In order to download this, just click on the button below:
If you are after other daily challenges, check these out here:
Daily challenge ideas on KiddyCharts
Some more inspiration based on an idea or activity a day for the kids to get inspired and you to have a break. Don't forget to check out our Time to Pee club as well.
Free activities for kids: 31 days of fun and free activities for you and your family #31daysofactivities
Loads of fun activities for the kids - one for every day for 31 days. We give you the ideas AND we show you how to do it too. So much inspiration you won't know where to start.
Free printable learning activities: 31 days of fun for the kids #31DaysOfLearning
Another 31 days filled with ideas - but this time these ideas all have an element of learning to them. Some are just to help kids understand things like autism; while others have a really specific learning goal. Check them all out.
31 days of kids colouring pages
31 days of inspirational coloring for the kids - we've got ideas from our site, and others included within this calendar. You won't ever miss out on something to do now!
31 days of adult colouring pages
Just in case you need a bit of mindful space - why not download our adult coloring daily challenge too. Give yourself a little space to breathe over the summer. You deserve it.
Here are more fitness ideas as well:
Fitness printables and ideas from KiddyCharts
Here are some more ideas for fitness and exercise from KiddyCharts that you can try, incluidng printables. Give them a go now!
Some more ideas from others too:
Fitness activities and ideas for families
Are you looking to get fit as a family, or to help yourself or your kids exercise, then check these printable and ideas out to help.
30 Day Fitness Challenge
This 30 day fitness challenge works for everyone, regardless of your fitness level! There's a free printable fitness tracker to keep you motivated!
Bullet Journal Ideas For Fitness Trackers + Free Health Tracker Printable!
Printable fitness tracker bullet journal pages: stay focused on health & fitness goals + trackers for workouts, weight loss, & measurements.
Why Should Kids Exercise And How To Get Kids To Exercise
Why should kids exercise? I tackle that question as well as provide tips for how to get kids to exercise through fun fitness exercises and fitness games.
Thanks as always for visiting us, and we’d love to see you again, so why not sign up to the site?
See you soon!