We love poppies, they are a wonderful reminder on remembrance day, VE day, Memorial day, and any time that we are to remember those that fought bravely for their country and lost their lives. So that we can show our respect to those wonderful veterans, and to all those fallen, we wanted to share a simple craft that kids can do to make sure we don’t forget the sacrifice made for us. If you are looking for other VA Day activities – do check out our activity sheets for VE Day too.
How to make your paper poppy
You will need to gather a few supplies before starting your poppy:
- Coloured card stock; black, yellow, green, and red. If you don’t hve these colours or only have thin paper, don’t worry. Colour in what you have – it’ll still look fabulous,
- Glue, and
- Poppy template we have provided for you.
Making your paper poppy
1. Cut out the shapes from the template
2. Arrange the petals on the base; we have coloured the petals red and the base black ; but it is really up to you what you do with the kids. You could make a white one and then just decorate it how you wanted?
3. Then – arrange the two black central pieces on top of each other exactly matching, and then move one around slightly so they are overlapping like this…
4. When they look like the above place them in the centre of your red petals and pop the yellow poppy centre in the middle. Yes – we know sometimes the poppy centre is black – however, we fancied a little bit of extra colour in our poppy. Entirely up to you how you do yours of course…
5. The poppy should now look a little bit like this, and all you now need to add are the leaves…slide them in under the poppy however you would like to…
6. You can arrange them in any way you want, we tried a few different patterns before we settled on one that we liked and wanted to use for the finished article.
Now all you need to do is find a safety pin and pop in on a top…
Of find a teen who doesn’t like their picture taken and put it on their Tottenham kit….
All done – you can make a few of them to wear, or just use them as decorations around the house.
We hope that you think that this is as cute as we do! If you like this activity, then why not check out some of the other ideas on the site to keep the kids busy?
If you are looking for other poppy based ideas, then why not take a look here too?
I do hope you love these ideas as much as we do, and why not sign up to our newsletter so you don’t miss out.
Thanks for coming to see us and we really hope you will be back soon as well. If you spend time on social media come visit KiddyCharts on Facebook!