Fluffy paint pictures are so much fun to create and it is so easy to make the fluffy paint you need as well. This is also known as puffy paint too, so we are giving you two for the price of one, right?!?
We can almost guarantee you will have these ingredients in your cupboards ready to go; so it is a simple homemade puffy paint / fluffy paint recipe.
This fluffy paint recipe is toddler safe too, although it may not taste great, it is perfectly safe for little ones who want to put everything in their mouths. Bonus! Don’t forget your paint brushes for this will you…?
Ingredients for fluffy paint
- 1 heaped tbsp self raising flour,
- 1 tbsp Salt,
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder,
- Food coloring (You can use Gel as well), and
This is such a simple recipe, with only 5 ingredients that you are going to LOVE doing this with the kids. Fluffy paint pictures are so gorgeous, and fun too, so why not carve out a little time to give this a go with the kids today?
How to make fluffy paint
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder to a bowl and mix.
- Add water a tablespoon at a time and mix until you have a thick ‘yogurt like’ consistency
- Add a few drops of the food coloring of your choice.
How to use fluffy paint
Once you have created your fluffy paint mixture you use it to create your picture. The mixture will be quite thick so I found dabbing it the best using cotton buds works really well. Don’t forget to make lots of different colors so you can have fun with your pictures. Use a paper plate to mix your paints as well, if you need to.
It was great for Elise, Everything Mummy’s daughter (18 months), to use for mark making.
Elise loved getting her hands in and getting messy as well! Once the masterpiece is complete, simple pop it into microwave for 20-30 seconds and see the paint puff up to create a brilliant 3D effect.
Tips for using your DIY puffy paint / fluffy paint
- We made this with a microwave with 800W, using it on a medium setting for 30 seconds, but timings will depend on your microwave,
- The paint will thicken up after a while, if you need to add a drop or two more of water until you get the desired ‘yogurt like’ consistency again,
- You can make fluffy paint without self raising flour, just add more baking powder instead.
If you like making fabulous things for kids to get messy with beyond this homemade paint idea – do check out some of the other activities we have on the site, including recipes for homemade oobleck, play dough mats, and shaving cream / shaving foam painting too.
Why not check these out as well?
Thanks for coming to check out these ideas and activities, why not visit our shop too – with 51%+ going to charity, why wouldn’t you give it a go?
You might also like to check out some of the other How Tos on the site to; everything from calming a baby, to how to teach feelings and emotions to kids.
If you like what you see, sign up to our newsletter for info as it happens on the site:
We’d love to see you again, so why not pop back again, or share this or anything else you like with your friends, family and colleagues?