Mindfulness and self care has never been more important for parents, kids, and everyone. We are having to learn to be more “in the moment” and to prevent our mind from racing too far ahead. With this in mind, we have teamed up with Readly to offer you a chance to give yourself 20mins (or more in you can manage it) of self care or me time every single day for two weeks. Sometimes all we need to be is accountable and a little challenge that we stick to can help with this.
This post contains affiliate links.
Why is me time important?
You may be asking yourself what the point of reading a magazine for 20 minutes a day is all about? Why should I even BOTHER with giving myself a little me time every. single. day?
As a parent, sometimes it can feel that there isn’t anytime for YOU anymore, that your life revolves around the small people that you have created and you are getting lost. This is normal.
A way of reconnecting with yourself is to set aside time within your day to do what YOU love and what YOU want. This isn’t selfish, this is self-less. It allows you to reconnect to yourself, and feel a little more normal.
Me time is not a selfish act
As parents, we can be all to quick to feel guilty about wanting to do something for ourselves. This is a mindset, and why not use your magazine time to help change that mindset?
It might also help for you to think about some of the other positives within your day alongside the me time that you are carving our for yourself?
What me time magazines are on Readly?
Readly has over 5000 magazines on the site. Everything from newspapers, to hobby magazines covering sport, wildlife, photography, and gaming. We have picked out a few that we thought might be interesting, but there are loads more. Just pop and explore:
- Cosmopolitan: Don’t really need to say too much about this – number one magazine for women!
- delicious: The perfect magazine for all those foodies out there. Might just give you an awesome idea for your next date night, or a family meal,
- Four Four Two: The classic football magazine for those that want to find out what’s happening in the world of footy,
- Guardian: This is the perfect daily fix of news for those of you that like a good newspaper that tell you like it is,
- Hello: Sometimes a little bit of gossip is a perfect place to be when you are working through your Me Time. This is, of course, the classic magazine to see how everyone else lives!
- Viz: Yes its adult humour, and yes its rude, so make sure your kids aren’t looking over your shoulder. However, Viz is a great way to give yourself a me time laugh…
How to take part in the me time challenge?
We can share with you the sheet we have created for the challenge, so you know exactly what to expect across the 14-days. As always, we are keeping it simple:
To take part in the challenge, all you need to do is:
- Decide on a time that works for you where you can have 20mins,
- Stick to using this time for YOU and your me time,
- Grab yourself a nice seat, and the kind of drink that will relax you into your magazine (maybe a coffee, or a nice hot chocolate, or perhaps even a glass of wine? 😉 ),
- Sign up to the free 6 week free trial,
- Choose one of the many magazines on Readly that you would like to try. There are over 5000 titles, including lots of hobby magazines, and newspapers. We do have some suggestions above too for you,
- Sit back and relax for 20mins,
- Tick off day one of the challenge, and agree with yourself that you will do the same over the next 13 days,
- Tick off each day when you manage to have those 20mins of reading and give yourself your me time, and
- Complete the challenge, grabbing your completion certificate; what else did you feel positive about that final day?
Here is a sneak peak of the certificate for you too:
We think this is a wonderful way to prioritise yourself as a parent – so do it today!
In order to get your pack, just click on the circular picture here and the certificate and the challenge as yours.
We have also got a gift certificate included here for you too, so that you can gift Readly to a friend or a partner to encourage them to take that me time just that little bit more.
If you would like to see the gift certificate for this – here you go:
If you like this we do hope you will sign up to our newsletter – so do check it out?
Thanks for coming to see us. If you are looking for other mindful activities on the site – take a peek here:
There are other mindful ideas off site as well of course.
We hope that you find this challenge good fun, and that you enjoy the Readly trial too. Why not share it with your friends?
We hope to see you on the site again soon.