We have put our thinking caps on again for you all to try and find some more activities for the kids to do indoors that will keep them a little busy while you do whatever you need to do, so today we are exploring magazines for kids, and have teamed up with Readly to give you a little bit of help!
This post contains affiliate links.
The idea of this magazines for kids daily challenge is really simple. All we are proposing is that the kids choose one of the magazines that they like from the Readly app, and read a bit every single day. Ideally, focused reading, for 20 minutes or more. This will give YOU a break, but also help them to relax a little. Readly gives you access to over 5000 magazines, and newspapers from your phone, tablet or laptop. There really is a title for all; so whatever your child likes, there will be something for them.
You can download up to 500 issues too if your WiFi sometimes plays up…
What magazines for kids are on Readly?
In order to complete the magazines for kids challenge, you’ll need to know what titles there are that the kids might like to choose from. Examples include:
- Beano: the CLASSIC comic, that we all know and love, including the wonderful Gnasher,
- National Geographic Kids: a wonderful magazine educating and entertaining your kids about the natural world. A fabulous way of helping your children to love nature,
- StoryTime: a magazine for kids that does JUST what is says – offering fabulous stories for kids to read and enjoy. Fairy tales, and stories about football – it’s got the lot,
- Shout: a magazine focused on teens and young adults, including everything they want to hear about from celebs to YouTubers, and
- Film Stories Junior: Written mainly by kids, for kids and sharing all your children will want to know about films.
There are more, so go and explore; there are even puzzle magazines on there as well for the children to have a go at.
How to complete the magazines for kids challenge!
As always, we like to share with you what the challenge looks like before you actually start – so here you are:
The idea is:
- Pick a magazine they will like from the Readly titles,
- Sign up for your Readly TWO WEEK free trial,
- Find a nice comfortable space for them to read, perhaps with some lovely cushions, and space to relax,
- Give them the device for them to read on, and print out the challenge. To do so, scroll down to the circular image below,
- Watch them enjoy their magazine, and when they have finished, tick off day 1,
- Repeat for 14 days, and then – they can get their certificate (see below),
- We have included a 😀 and a ☹️ on each day. This gives YOU an opportunity to chat to them about what they read in the magazine, and how they felt about it. Perhaps they read about deforestation in the Amazon in National Geographic, and it made them feel a bit sad. They can share this with you. Perhaps they read a really funny comic within the Beano, and it made them happy. The symbols help to spark a discussion about what they did, to make it much more likely that they will be keen to move to the next day. It also provides you will an opportunity to chat to your kids about their thoughts and feelings; something that is really important for them developing empathy and insight into themselves.
Once they have completed their challenge, don’t forget to print out the certificate we have too.
To download both of these printables for this magazines for kids challenge, you just need to click on the circular image below.
You will get both the progress sheet in this pack, and the certificate for when you have finished the challenge.
We do hope that you have enjoyed this? We love getting feedback on the site, so feel free to contact us with any thoughts you have on this.
If you like these ideas, do join our newsletters as well – we have a summary one for our articles:
Alongside an activity a day newsletter to keep kids happy and busy while you get Time to Pee, so feel free to join that too.
Grab our printable days of the week calendar on our premium site for £3.95
Join our premium site, and most of our products in the shop are completely free!
We have a few articles on the site around reading, so why not take a look?
Or try these too?
We hope that you like this activity, and you enjoy Readly – if you do, feel free to share the this article far and wide!
Other Readly offer terms and conditions:
- Only valid in the UK,
- Not valid with any other offers,
- The offer is not the responsibility of KiddyCharts; any queries on it, please contact Readly directly.