Technology is an excellent resource for schools and parents to help children to learn about STEM. With this in mind, we are sharing this excellent resource from STEM Learning who have produced a list of a staggering 40 apps to help Kids with science that you can access to help your kids wither these subjects. All from your smart phone. Apps are available on Google, or Apple, and sometimes both!
To make things easy, the list has been split down into different subjects, and includes further information including:
- Title of the app,
- Brief summary of what the app does,
- What age range the app is targeted at, and
- Links to download the app on Google or Apple.
The topics covered include:
- General science,
For further help with STEM Learning, and specifically other computing related apps, do check out the STEM Learning site for more excellent resources.
We wanted you to have a little taster of the apps included before downloading the full list, so here are a few thoughts and ideas on the list below.
This covers some of the more generalised ideas and skills within science, as well as safe searching. There are 10 Apps to help Kids with science include in this topic, some examples are:
- Kidzsearch: A child-friendly search engine suitable for 5+,
- Science Journal from Google: a place to keep all the observations, ideas, and writing about a specific concept in one place. An excellent way to document your scientific investigations, and
- Skitch: An excellent app that allows for annotation of pictures which can aid with the observation skills required in science (5+ again),
Within this topic, apps that assist in our understanding of life sciences and the natural world are provided for children. There are 9 apps within this section including:
- Insects Life Cycle: For age 5+, this is a lovely little app that explains the life cycle of insects to kids clearly, and with concepts that they can relate to,
- NHM Fossil Explorer: An app from the wonderful Natural History Museum in London that allows children to explore the plant and animal fossils that can be found under their feet, and
- Zoo for preschool kids: Showing younger children (2+), how important it is to look after and care for animals
The focus for this section is on chemistry and the elements to help kids to understand more about the chemicals within our bodies and around us. There are 7 apps detailed in the list. These do focus a little more on the older age groups, with KS3-5 being covered predominantly:
- Nuclear: Children can make atoms of substances from the periodic table and see what they are made of (12+)
- Periodic table: The Royal Society of Chemistry has developed an interactive periodic table. The detail within the app includes how the atoms were discovered, and applications of the elements within real life.
By far the largest topic within the resource, with 22 app details provided here; focusing on everything from the sky at night, to forces and measurement of speed:
- Quantum 3: An app for those from 5+ to make quantum physics fun! No mean feat, but you can match and swap quarks and build subatomic particles in the app. An excellent way to make something complicated seem simpler and exciting for younger to even older kids,
- Sky Map: We LOVE this app, in its simplest terms its a planetarium in your hand!
- Unit converter: Everyone struggles with the complexities of translating oz into g and lbs into kg – this app helps with everyday unit conversions.
In order to download this, just click on the circular image below, and the list is yours. As we have already mentioned, this is sourced from STEM Learning, so pop along and see their other home learning ideas too.
If you like science apps and STEM Learning, then do check out some of the other STEM activities we have on the site focused on science:
Fun STEM Activities
If you're looking to create something fun with your kids then these STEM activities are for you! We hope you enjoy them.
Simple science experiment for kids with vinegar and baking soda #31DaysOfLearning
One of our best STEM posts is this simple science experiment for kids with vinegar and baking soda from our #31DaysOfLearning event.
Build your own robot free STEM printable
Build your own robot with our free printable. It's fun and it's a STEM activity to help your kids learn. Win-win!
Free solar system game for kids to help with STEM learning
Our free solar system game for kids can take your kids to another planet! Download and play today.
Simple weather activity: Shaving foam rain clouds #31DaysOfLearning
This is a lovely simple activity that helps to teach kids about clouds. It is so easy to set up too, made from items you should have in the house anyway.
Free weather chart
We have a completely free weather chart for you to use with the kids too - keep track of the weather in a fun and interactive way, every day.
For other activities outside the site – check these ideas out as well.
More STEM ideas from the web
Combine learning and fun with these STEM ideas from around the web.
28 Days of STEM Activities and STEAM Activities for Kids
This post has 28 days of STEM activities for your kids to try out and enjoy.
13+ Math Toys to Inspire STEM
Who said toys can't be educational? Check out these top math toys for STEM.
40 STEM Activities for Kids
Can't get enough STEM ideas? Here are 40 more!
Fizzing Colors Science Activity
This looks like so much fun - ideal for little hands to explore with. So colourful, and fabulous for them!
We would LOVE to have you sign up to our newsletter for more great free ideas and activities for kids too.
Sign up for free kids ideas to your inbox as they are published
This will add you to a list to receive our article as they are published on site!
Cheers for coming as always,