By the evening I am often exhausted, and as much as love my kids; I need a break and some time for me.
Getting the kids to bed allows me that, and I find it difficult to keep my patience when they won’t settle or keep getting up for things.
Here are my top 10 tips for getting the children off to the land of nod….
- Have a bedtime routine and if you don’t have one start to build one; its not too late.
- Have a calm down time – turn the PC, TV and electronic games off about an hour before bed.
- No electronics in the bedroom – the room needs to be relaxing for sleep
- A warm bath is a great way to relax before bed
- Have a drink and /or snack if they are really hungry.
- Toilet, hands and teeth; once they are in bed, we want them to stay there, not get up for a drink or a wee.
- Read a story, or as they get older. let them have some reading time.
- Ideally the routine should be the same time every night, but if that’s not possible explain and fit in what you can.
- Tuck them in and say goodnight. If they want Mum or Dad to come and say goodnight get them in as quickly as possible so your child can settle down.
- If your child does get out of bed, return them as quickly as possible.
And here’s to a peaceful evening! If you are struggling you may want to try one of our charts as well, both our progress charts, and our reward charts would work a treat!