Ras Al Khaimah is the northern-most Emirate in the UAE is now on the UK government’s Amber list (August 2021), so perhaps it is a destination that you might think about travelling too in the future? If you do, what things are there to do with kids in Ras Al Khaimah?
It has rapidly become a firm family holiday favourite in recent years, offering a mix of adventure and leisure activities across its diverse terrain of rugged mountain tops to stunning 64km coastline. With an increasing shift in travel trends, holidaymakers have been looking for more cultural escapes and nature-centric experiences – and Ras Al Khaimah ticks all the boxes. Home to the UAE’s highest mountain peak (Jebel Jais), one of the more popular adventure hotspots – Jais Adventure Peak – is the perfect place to tick off your bucket list activities. Recently, the destination further invested in its tourism sector, announcing 20 upcoming projects and developments which will offer travellers a whole new suite of experiences for the entire family to enjoy.
Ras Al Khaimah has been at the forefront of a sustainable tourism recovery roadmap. It was the first to amplify its safety and hygiene protocols ensuring strict measures were implemented across the Emirates, resulting it in becoming the ‘first city worldwide’ to be certified as a safe destination from Bureau Veritas, and the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC). Ras Al Khaimah was also the first global destination to offer free COVID-19 PCR testing to all international visitors before outbound departure.
Welcoming back visitors who are keen to stay away from the crowded cities and make the most of a memorable holiday, Ras Al Khaimah has collaborated with the world’s leading hospitality brands to rollout sizzling holiday packages with unmissable value-adds and experiences.
Ras Al Khaimah’s exciting new summer 2021 campaign– ‘WANASA’, running from 15th June – 30th September offers families exclusive discounts at 4* and 5* hotels, with the promise of nature, adventure, sea, sun, sand, and unspoilt authentic culture – plus, kids under 12 go free! WANASA – which means ‘joy’ in Arabic – also offers scratch cards to families on check-in. Prizes include 40% discounted tickets to Dubai Parks & Resorts – home to LEGOLAND Dubai, Bollywood Park, and Motiongate!
1. The whole family can learn essential survival techniques at the Bear Grylls Explorers Camp
Bear Grylls Explorers Camp and accommodation: Part of the Bear Grylls Explorers Camp at Jebel Jais which opened in 2020, the latest addition to the campsite are lodges designed to offer families and groups mountain biking, climbing, self-guided tours and hikes. Accommodation is designed to host up to three adults, or two adults and one child, with basic self-catering facilities, including a private BBQ on a private outdoor terrace to prepare meals. There will also be the Bear Grylls Survival Academy each day, with special family programs that teach travellers practical and extreme survival techniques.
2. Experience the peak of adventure and family fun with the Jebel Jais flight
Located on the UAE’s highest mountain, Jais Adventure Peak is the perfect place to experience thrilling bucket list activities with the entire family, and is home to the World’s Longest Zipline, certified by the Guinness World Records!
Thrill-seekers and adrenaline junkies will travel at speeds of up to 150kph at a height of 1,680 metres above sea level on top of Jebel Jais Mountain. Afterwards, guests will finish the flight on a suspended landing platform where they will be transferred to a second line to complete their journey.
If you are feeling more adventurous, then the Jais Sky Tour will is a must-try. Fly over the awe-inspiring cliffs and canyons of Jebel Jais as you zip from platform to platform. Covering a total distance of 5KM via a series of 7 ziplines, the Jais Sky Tour will give you a panoramic view of the towering Hajar mountains.
3. Enjoy authentic arabian nights at the Bedouin Oasis Camp
Set in the dunes of Ras Al Khaimah, the Bedouin Oasis camp offers you the chance to spend a night in a traditional setting under the clear starry night sky. Here you can enjoy a variety of fun-filled activities. Explore the desert terrains on an ultimate desert safari with the thrills of a quad bike ride. If you prefer even more traditional means of travel, then we suggest camel trekking. At night-time, feel free to join the live entertainment festivities and indulge in the luxurious mouth-watering buffet dinner.
4. Bask in the sun or choose adventure sports for the thrill
With several beaches and modern facilities, Ras Al Khaimah is the perfect destination for water sports. With a wide variety of activities, choose your favourite sport from scuba diving, sailing, water skiing, parasailing, and fishing. If you prefer a more relaxing activity, treat yourself to a Kayak excursion on the sea or in the mangroves, where the natural surroundings offer an unforgettable experience.
5. Gallop towards the sunset at the Al Wadi equestrian centre
The Ritz-Carlton Resort offers you the chance to take private or group riding lessons available for new or experienced riders, including children, at The Al Wadi Equestrian Center. If you would like to enjoy the quintessential desert experience, a camel ride is the perfect opportunity to explore the natural landscape and learn about the importance of camels in Bedouin culture.
The fun does not stop here. Ras Al Khaimah has recently announced a multi-million-pound investment supporting a mix of retail, hospitality and cultural projects widening the safe and expansive travel offerings for UK travellers for when the UAE is marked as ‘green’ on the UK travel list.
There are other ideas for the family at the destination – so why not check these out too? Including some more places that you might like to stay in the future as well.
The new initiatives include over 20 projects across the destination such as:
- A mega-beachfront development by Marjan with a marine district, inflatable aqua park, leisure trampoline, swimming pool, outdoor gym and extensive food and beverage offering.
- Jais Yard – an F&B Village with food trailers, kiosks, retail containers, vintage truck restaurants, open air cinema and children’s play areas
- Scallop Ranch at Al Hamra Marine will offer oyster/scallop diving, live cooking, family and kids’ experiences, and cultural activations. As a first of its kind attraction in the UAE, it will support and enhance understanding of the marine ecosystem with seagrass and sea cucumber species within the farm.
- Luminaze at Manar Mall will also welcome an aesthetic and playful art installation based on a light maze, ideal for family and team activities.
- Ras Al Khaimah is also strengthening its hospitality infrastructure through new hotels, such as the all-new Mövenpick Resort Al Marjan Island with 418 hotel keys and direct sea views. The upcoming Hampton by Hilton Al Marjan Island, comprising 515 rooms, will be the largest Hampton by Hilton globally and the first to offer an all-inclusive resort concept. Other new openings include Radisson Al Marjan Island and InterContinental Mina Al Arab.
To stay updated on the latest travel information, plan an itinerary that excites the whole family and receive the latest offers and experiences, head to: http://visitrasalkhaimah.com/
We hope you like these ideas for Ras Al Khaimah – why not check out some of the other travel ideas that we have on the site as well? We are hoping that 2022 brings us many more adventures are the disappointment for many of 2020 and 2021.
For more articles do check out these from KiddyCharts:
Here are some other ideas from off KiddyCharts as well.
If you would like to sign up to our newsletter – please feel free, we would love to see you on the site again.