Today we have a great STEM activity for your kids, how to make an exploding rainbow. I know the thought of something exploding may make you worry a bit (the clean up is not that bad, we promise) but this activity is going to be so much fun for the kids, and even for you! If you want a new STEM activity to keep the kids engaged and learning then this is one to try.
How to make an exploding rainbow
The instructions for this fun activity are simple. We have a fab printable for you that gives you all the instructions, but to give you an idea here is what you’ll need.
- 7 clear containers,
- Food colouring,
- Baking soda,
- White vinegar,
- Spoon and,
- Prepare your clear containers – ideally do this outside on a good day or make sure to use a protective sheet as it’s a bit messy!
- Add baking soda to each container using a spoon. A small spoonful should do it but this does depend on the size of your container. This experiment works just as well with a small container.
- Add two drops of food colouring to each container – red food colouring to your first container, orange to the second, yellow to the third, green to the fourth, blue to the fifth, indigo to the sixth and violet to the seventh or the closest colours you have.
- Pour your vinegar into the container.
- The reaction will happen quickly so be sure to watch carefully and enjoy your exploding rainbows!
The baking soda and vinegar form a chemical reaction. This chemical reaction produces carbon dioxide gas which causes our rainbows to explode! The carbon dioxide gas escapes causing it to overflow the container.
As you can see, this is a fun and educational activity that is sure to delight kids of all ages. Have a look at the free printable and skip down to the circular image to download your printable.
<< Download the instruction worksheet by clicking on the circular image below >>
Do sign up for our “time to pee” newsletter and gain a few more minutes for yourself each day. Our newsletter gives you a daily activity to keep the kids busy, sign up today.
Sign up to our Annual subscription to the Time to Pee club here!
£49.95 and everything in the shop is FREE!
Sign up to the monthly Time to Pee subscription now!
£5.95 per month and all shop products are FREE!
Are you looking for more STEM activites to do with the kids? We have loads, so do check these out.
There are even more activities from around the web, do have a look.
Cheers for visiting,
Pin It For Later!