You don’t have to be a master baker to make an amazing looking cake for your kids. Today I’m sharing this easy to follow Stork – soldier cake recipe and sculpting instructions to make a wonderful soldier cake.
- 250 g Stork
- 250 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, large
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150 g Stork with butter
- 300 g icing sugar
- 35 g cocoa powder
For cake decorations
- 300 g chocolate finger biscuits
- 4 mini rolls
- 50 g white chocolate curls
- Dry spaghetti stick
- Ready to roll icing in black, red, blue, white and yellow.
- Blue ribbon
- Oven Temp: 160c (fan)/180c/Gas Mark 4
- Makes: 1 x 7” square Soldier Cake
- Freezing: Cake is suitable for freezing undecorated.
- Preheat the oven to 160c (fan)/180c/Gas Mark 4.
- Start by well greasing a 7” square cake tin and then line the base with non-stick baking paper.
- Put all the chocolate cake ingredients into a large bowl and beat together until you get a well combined and even mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the tin. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or so until it becomes springy to the touch and a skewer comes away clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
- Take it out of the oven and place on the wire rack. Allow to cool.
- While the cake cools, beat together the frosting ingredients until they are well mixed and have a light and fluffy texture.
- When the cake is cooled place it onto a serving plate and cover with chocolate frosting.
- Decorate by placing a chocolate roll at each corner and fill the sides with chocolate finger biscuits. Scatter some chocolate curls on the top of the cake.
- Now let's make the soldier. Knead a small amount of the ready to roll icing, in each colour, for it to soften. Mix red with white to make a pink colour for the face. Shape the pieces as follows.
- Feet - roll a small ball of black and slightly flatten it.
- Legs - Make a thick sausage of blue icing. With a knife mark the centre for the legs.
- Body – Roll a ball of red icing to create the body. Mark the arms with a knife and imprint the buttons with a tip of a skewer.
- Belt – roll a small ball of yellow and flatten it into a disc.
- Neck & Face – From the pink icing roll a ball for the head and mark on two eyes with the point of a skewer and make a smile using a straw. Roll another smaller ball and flatten it into a disc for the neck.
- Hat – Make a thick sausage of black for the hat.
- Starting with feet spear each piece onto one stick of dry spaghetti, use just a little dab of water to glue the pieces together. Leave the end of the spaghetti halfway inside the soldiers hat.
- Place the soldier into the centre of the cake.
- Decorate the base of the cake with ribbon and serve.
- The dry spaghetti is used to support the upright soldier and will prevent it from falling over.
- Dust your hands with a little icing sugar if you find the ready to roll icing a little sticky to work with.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
This recipe first appeared on Bake with Stork site.