We have a lovely little activity for you today courtesy of Natascha Maksimovic from www.natmaks.com. She is a printmaker based in Margate, and makes her own handprinted wallpapers and art prints at the company. She works with a traditional Japanere Art, Suminagashi, which means floating ink. It is a gorgeous paper marbeling craft, an endangered craft, as listed by the Heritage Paper Marbling association. It creates unique wallpaper for each customer, and YOU can create your own unique art in the same way with our activity from her today. This is a character art colouring and design game – your kids will cut out the letters we have provided and then use their imaginations….
How to design your own letter characters
We have provided you with a few colouring sheets, as well as your own letters to help build your characters.
In order to do this character art colouring and game activity, just click on the square image below and follow the instructions.
- Print out the sheet of black print characters, you can print them more than once, so you have lots of different options for your design,
- Cut out each of the character shapes (on page 6 of the activity pack we have) and lay them out in front of you on a flat surface,
- Take a look at all the shapes in front of you, and also the other 5 pictures that we have provided for you as inspiration. The shapes aren’t the same in the colouring sheets we have given you BUT you get the idea of what we are trying to achieve,
- Use the letters and the shapes we have provided to build your own shapes and designs. They are be actually characters, or just a simple pattern that you or your children like,
- Keep having fun and playing with them to make your own pictures,
- Once you have decided on one that you like best, find some coloured card, and stick down your design,
- Finally you can frame it and pop it on your wall.
Now you have your own piece of modern art for your bedroom!
We have had a go at this ourselves – what do you think?
Yep we agree – we won’t be giving up the day job anytime soon! 😂
We hope you can, at least, tell what it is though? It is a sort of bird/chick/type creature…
This is a great activity, not just for creativity, but also for character and letter recognition as well. You can work through what all of the letters and symbols are while you are using them to build your characters. You could even see if you can make any words with them – if you print out a few other sheets… There won’t be many, but there are definitely some three and four letter ones there if you spend a bit of time on it.
We do have a lot of other activities for the kids on the site, so do check them out as well, if you like this one. There are some other reading focused ones in particular.
If you want some external articles focused on reading, do take a look here too.
We hope you like this article – do sign up to our newsletter if you do:
Thanks as always for spending the time to read this, and thanks to Natascha for this ideas as well. Do pop over the her site, NatMaks, and check out her gorgeous wallpaper and art if you can as well.