We haven’t done any Day of the Dead activities on the site before, but we are about to change that for you all now! We have some wonderful Day of the Dead coloring pages for you; for both kids and adults. These are a perfect compliment to the wonderful colours, sights and sounds in the Day of the Dead celebrations (2nd November).
Day of the Dead, or Día de los Muertos, is celebrated throughout Mexico, and isn’t the same as Halloween at all.
Some people mistakenly think that the two festivals are linked; however, they are very different both in style, and of course the day they are celebrated.
Day of the Dead is a two day festival, and is a celebration full of life, love and colour. Halloween is obviously over one night, and is really focused on the darker side of the dead.
Though, Day of the Dead is all about death, it’s focus is on paying respects, and showing love to those that have died within the family, both recently, and from many generations ago. It is a homage to deceased family members, designed to show them how much we love and respect everything they did for us while they were alive. And perhaps are still doing for us…..
UNESCO has even recognised The Day of the Dead as one its Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity events; UNESCO cultural heritage recognition is not limited to sites, and cities, but extends to living expressions and tradition.
If you want to know a little bit more about the festival – why not take a look at this fantastic article from The National Geographic, which give a little more on the history, and the traditions of the Day of the Dead. It’ll really help to put the celebration into context while you do your coloring.
These coloring pages are, of course, another in our series of adult and children coloring that you can enjoy together. Why not take a look at some of the others that we have on the site, as well as having a peak at a couple of our halloween resources too?
- Cat coloring sheets, one of our favourite coloring resources ever,
- Butterfly coloring pages, just so you can remind yourself of the lovely summer months (if you need to),
- All of our adult coloring and kids coloring in one place, so you can see everything we have done, and check them out, and finally
- How about some printable Halloween posters as well?
To get the printables and coloring, just click on the image below.
If you are after some more Day of the Dead activities, and printables, then what about these?
- Day of the Dead paper puppet template from Red Ted Art,
- 10 crafts for the festival from Hodge Podge Craft,
- Day of the Dead bread from Kid World Citizen, and what an amazing idea this is too,
- Felt crafts for the festival from Crafts on Sea, and
- Marigold craft for the Day of the Dead from Tinkerlab.
Please don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest for lots more great ideas, and if you like this article why not subscribe to our weekly newsletter too?
See you again soon.