For a girl, getting your ears pierced is an exciting time, especially in the summer when you can go back to school and show off your new jewellery. It’s a chance to feel grown up and show off your style. However, if the ears are neglected, it can cause a nasty infection.
Here are some aftercare tips for newly pierced ears from an experienced beauty therapist – and keep reading for a great giveaway too!
- Try not to fidget with the earrings, this can increase the likelihood of infection due to dirt getting trapped in the piercing,
- Do not swim within 48 hours of having the piercing done,
- Use the solution provided from the therapist morning and night to clean the ears,
- When applying, turn the earrings to ensure a thorough cleaning of the earring post and skin around it,
- A good tip is to do this while brushing your teeth, as it becomes a habit that will greatly decrease the chance of infection, and
- Wear good quality earrings, such as hypoallergenic earrings which are designed for more delicate ears.
If you find the skin is sensitive due to wearing earrings, finding a specific type of metal that does not cause pain works well (explained below,) but you still run the risk of infection or discomfort if you do not look after your ears and jewellery.
In addition, Solace Jewellery, who are kindly sponsoring a giveaway within this article as well, would like to share some helpful tips on keeping your ears free from irritation long after getting them pierced, allowing you to continue to accessorise and look fabulous.
- Avoid metals which cause the aggravation and try to wear earrings which are either very low in mixed metals (high carat gold for example), or are hypoallergenic, for example 316L Stainless Steel, often referred to as surgical steel.
- Wearing post earrings for the first few months after your piercing helps reduce soreness, as they don’t pull on your ears.
- Don’t wear your earrings 24/7, although you love your earrings so much you do not want to part, limiting the exposure helps, typically at taking them out at night works well.
- This is also a good time to clean both your ears (at night and in the morning a solution) and the earrings, making sure there are no scratches in your jewellery that can collect dirt.
- It’s an obvious one, but try to avoid getting hair and clothing caught in your earrings. This again will pull and cause stress to the ears which can cause irritation.
- Applying a powder will absorb any sweat, stopping the metal reacting with the moisture and causing a rash. Make sure you test the powder on your skin first to make sure it does not have adverse any reaction.
- Do not apply cream or lotion, as this can actually cause infection. This will then seal over the hole, preventing air from getting to the skin, and will trap germs and dirt.
At Solace Jewellery, the company provide quality jewellery, good customer service and fast shipping. Less than 1% of their customers come back and say their jewellery did not work for them. With lots of beautiful styles to choose from, there’s no excuse not to look great and make your ears happy!
Why not try them out for yourself – we have a giveaway for one of their ear-rings for you, perfect for your little one’s more sensitive ears, or perhaps even as a treat for yourself. They are rather lovely stud ear-rings – so why not pop over to the site and take a look at them? They even have Swarovski elements within them, so are bound to give a little sparkle to anything that you are wearing.
Entry is simply, through the Gleam widget below, and we close this in a month, so there is plenty of time to enter. You will also get extra entries if you share a link, and someone enters through that link as well. So what are you waiting for, give it a go!
The closing date for this is Thursday 31st August at 11.59pm, and all the usual T&Cs for KiddyCharts giveaways apply. This is also for the U.K. only, and no alternative ear-rings are offered.