Sail away with me ….. try your hand at this birthday boat cake. With a yummy jam centre, this cake will be a show stopper at any party.
Sail away on a birthday boat cake
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 250 g butter
- 250 g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp strawberry jam
- 200 g light blue ready to roll icing
- Skewer, paper and scissors
- Preheat the oven to 160c (fan)/180c/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease 2 x 8” sandwich cake tins well and line with non-stick baking paper.
- Place all the cake ingredients in a large bowl and beat together until the cake mixture is even and well combined.
- Split the mixture between the tins and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden and springy to the touch.
- Turn cakes onto a wire rack and allow to cool fully.
- Sandwich together the cakes with half of the jam. Spread the remaining jam onto the top of the cake.
- Roll out a circle of the icing on your work surface which should be very lightly dusted with icing sugar – slightly larger than the top of the cake. Lift into position on the top of the cake. Allow the extra to hang over the side of the cake and shape it into ripples gently with your fingertips.
- Cut out simple shapes for the boat and sails and secure to a skewer. Insert into the centre of the cake.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Please do share your pictures with us if you make this cake :-)