Who says Halloween can’t be both frighteningly fun and terrifically teaching? With our whimsical Halloween donuts recipe, we’re turning the kitchen into a playful learning platform for your little ones. This is deliberately a VERY simple recipe so you can focus on some of the learning ideas while you are making them.
Gather your magical ingredients
First things first, let’s gather our enchanting ingredients:
- Delectable donuts (available on Amazon too),
- Fantastically fun frosting,
- M&M’s (the eyes of our spooky creations), you can also use Skittles as well if you like, and
- Vampire Fangs. You can either have edible ones here, so found at your local sweet shop, or iyou can use colourful ones, or dress up ones. If you are in the US, they are available at Dollar Tree, and we found edible ones on Amazon, as well as costume fangs too. Have a good search, and find ones that work best for you.
1. Assemble your frightful friends
Now that we have our magical ingredients, it’s time to bring our spooky friends to life! Take your donuts and stick the vampire fangs right into the center. This is where your children’s creativity takes center stage – there’s no wrong way to make a Halloween donut!
2. Bring your creations to life with M&M’s eyes (or Skittles 😂)
Next, we add some character to our spooky friends by sticking on M&M’s as eyes. Encourage your kids to choose different colors and patterns. Maybe their donut is feeling blue today or perhaps it has one green and one brown eye, the possibilities are endless!
3. Serve and enjoy your Halloween donuts
Finally, it’s time to serve and enjoy your spook-tacular creations. Not only are these donuts delicious, but they can also be used as a centerpiece for your Halloween party!
Download the recipe card for this below:
- Vampire Fangs (Either edible or toy ones, such as those from Dollar Tree or Amazon)
- Take your donuts and stick the vampire fangs into the centre.
- Then stick on M&M’s as eyes!
- Serve & Enjoy!
Learning through cooking: 5 educational ideas
Cooking isn’t just about making these scrumptious treats; it’s an excellent opportunity for kids to learn too. Here are five ways your children can gain knowledge while having fun with this recipe:
1. Math skills
Have your child count the number of donuts, M&M’s, and vampire teeth. They can even get into fractions when dividing the donuts!
2. Fine motor skills
The act of placing the fangs and M&M’s can help improve their fine motor skills.
Let their imagination run wild with the decoration process. Each donut can have a different personality!
4. Color recognition
Use the M&M’s to help your younger kids practice their color recognition.
5. Reading and following instructions
This simple recipe is a great way for your child to practice reading and following instructions.
So there you have it, a Halloween treat that’s not just fun to make but also an educational experience for your little ones.
If you’re on the hunt for more Halloween fun, check out these other spook-tacular ideas on KiddyCharts. From printable Halloween masks to DIY decorations, there’s something for every little ghoul and goblin to enjoy.
The above ideas are all focused on food – but check out some of these colouring ideas for Halloween too:
Try these ideas from others too:
Do sign up to our newsletter if you have a moment too:
Remember, the goal is to have fun and learn along the way. So get ready, set, bake… and let the Halloween magic begin!
We’d love to see you again on the site, so we hope to see you soon.