Thanks to Simply Beef and Lamb, I have been asked to come up with a recipe this week; a new, simple one for those of us that like to take life as it comes, and are willing to wait for the important things.
We are all far too busy these days, rushing about from one task to another; even the kids seem to have lost the ability to be bored because there is always something to entertain with all the technology hanging about that seems to rule so many of our lives.
Something that struck me about cooking, and just allowing yourself that little bit of extra time, is how we can transform a dish into something quite different, if we just give it a bit of time to soak up the juices within some of the flavours around it. Nothing illustrates that better than a good old marinade, and a bit of meat. So for this Slow Life recipe, we have a great ideas for barbecues, or just a lovely warm dish, that is simple, which even your kids will be happy eating.
Both of mine asked for seconds.
Honey glazed kebabs with pea and mint rice #liveslow
For the kebabs:
- 500 g Lamb or Beef cubes
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic crushed or chopped
- 3 tablespoons of clear honey
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 red pepper
- Skewers or kebab sticks
For the rice:
- Easy cook whole grain rice allow c. 75g per person
- Frozen peas
- 1-2 tablespoons of creme fraiche
- Fresh or dried mint add to your taste
For the kebabs:
- Add the honey, crushed garlic and olive oil to a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add your meat to another bowl, and mix in the marinade
- Allow to stand for at least 30 minutes. The longer you leave, the stronger and sweeter the taste of the meat, so its up to you - are you prepared to live slowly?
- While the meat marindaes, cut the peppers into square chunks, ready to add to the kebabs when the meat is ready.
- When the meat has finished marinading, add the meat to the kebabs, alternating a few chunks with the odd chunk of pepper
- Place the meat under a heated high grill, and cook until browned on all sides. Keep an eye on the meat, and keep turning the kebabs so that they cook evenly.
For the rice:
- Cook the rice and frozen peas as per pack instructions.
- Add 1-2 table spoons of creme fraiche to the rice, and mix in the peas.
- Serve with the kebabs
- To create a little more of a fun feel, we served this with a mini plain Naan, which the kids loved. It is a great way to finish of a simple, but very yummy, little dish.
A lovely recipe for anytime of year, but great for barbecues, and particularly the kids!
So that was pretty easy wasn’t it? If you would like to check out the other recipes on the site, please feel free. You can, of course, subscribe to our newsletter as well, and we have a new one every week; from great meat dishes, to amazing desserts and puddings; not the mention the yummy veg too!
Follow our cooking with kids board on Pinterest for more ideas for those children too:
If you love the idea of slow living, why not take a look at the #liveslow hashtag on Twitter and Instagram too, where there are some other great ideas. For more simple beef and lamb recipes, cooked with the red tractor farm assured meat here in the UK, do pop along to the Simply Beef and Lamb site as well.
This is a sponsored post; we were provided with a voucher for the ingredients, and compensated for creating the recipe. We always buy Red Tractor meat though; my daughter always checks for it on the packet!