With most of our play dates being done virtually now, it’s easy to run out of things for our kids to talk about whilst chatting with family or friends. How many of you have kids that just can’t (or won’t) sit still long enough to catch up with family over a video call? Yup, we hear you! Today we bring you something to help with that, a virtual scavenger hunt! If you haven’t done one before, we show you how below. Check it out!
Scavenger hunts are so much fun. How many of you have fond memories of the anticipation that you’d get from an easter egg hunt or a family scavenger hunt? It was a lot of fun for us in our day, and our kids enjoy them as well and surely miss them.
What is a virtual scavenger hunt, you may ask and is it something the kids will have fun with?
What is a virtual scavenger hunt?
A virtual scavenger hunt allows your kids to connect via a video messaging app like Facetime or Zoom and virtually get together with their family and friends to have a scavenger hunt.
Here’s how you play:
- Start a video call with your family or friends,
- Make sure every household has printed a scavenger hunt sheet,
- Assign a moderator,
- The moderator will read an item aloud and assing a certain amount of time to each player to retrieve it,
- Once the item is found the child brings it to the screen to show the moderator,
- The moderator will then assign points to each player depending on the order that they brought the item to the screen (for example, first place 3 points, second place 2 points, and third place 1 point), finally,
- Add up all the points to see who won.
Once a winner is determined the moderator can assign a prize. Or better yet, each parent can assign a prize for their child so each child can enjoy the glory. You can also opt for no prizes and just have a lovely time together as a family. Better yet, why not make a note and once we can all gather together take all the kids out and celebrate. You can play it as you wish, really!
We have created a free printable for you to download to help you play this fun game. This can be played not only between children on a virtual play date but even with the kids and their aunts, uncles, grandparents, or any other friends or family. Take a look!
This is a lovely way to get everyone doing something fun and making your video calls a little bit more engaging.
<< To get your own virtual scavenger hunt printable just click on the circular image below >>
Sign up for our newsletter to get more great activities to your inbox.
Sign up for free kids ideas to your inbox
If you like scavenger hunts, why not check out these additional posts from KiddyCharts:
Or how about these activities from around the web?
Thank you so much for stopping by,
Pin It For Later!