Last week, the lovely Ally Pinney from Mumsclub challenged her blog readers to do without their iPhone for a whole weekend…and I wimped out.
I am seriously sorry. I have only really had it for a year. Be it appears to have taken on the significance of a third child in my family. A slightly less vocal, but not less demanding one…
Its been through the mill a bit, including finding itself down the loo in a parenting nightmare a few weeks ago, but I don’t think I could live without it now. In fact, I did come out in a bit of a cold sweat just thinking about it…
Ally’s challenge did make me sit up though…why couldn’t I do without it, and why do I love it so much. So here are my top ten reasons a mad-cap working and blogging mother should never be without her iPhone, and in fact should probably be sleeping with it….
- Serious (ish) ones first; I can use my phone to check emails and trawl the internet while relaxing in bed
- My customers are global; they tweet in the night, and therefore so should I – isn’t that what customer service is all about?
- You can write your blogging ideas on it instantly you have them, including the middle of the night; and not worry about insanely searching for a pen and paper without waking the sleeping Brad (my husband, not the real Brad Pitt)
- You can catch up on much needed blog reading before lights out, and even comment on them. You don’t have to be in another room at a PC miles away from the husband / children /cat / dog / tarantula *delete as appropriate* This may even mean you can speak to them at the same time…but don’t get carried away…
- It can prove your husband does snore really loudly; now before Brad gets a tad miffed (and rightly so), I haven’t used it for this, but I know a lady that did…
- It doubles as a great torch if you need to get up to go to the loo in the night and can’t find your glasses (I know I’ve done this). And if you have kids, I guarantee you will be getting up to go to the loo in the night
- The kids aren’t around to snatch it and demand to “play on mummy’s phone” while you are trying to check emails for that important one from the supplier, or web designer, etc., which you then, of course, accidentally delete
- You can put it on silent – wouldn’t it be lovely if we could do that with the kids overnight? That’d solve many a family problem, but then I’d probably be out of business, as no-one would need my behavior charts anymore
- If you do have to get up for one of the kids in the night – its there afterwards for you to get moral support from the Twitter world about the trauma associated with a child who is scared of the pile of odd socks on the dresser across the room because it looks like a dragon / monster / witch *also delete as appropriate*
- Those Angry Birds fly so much better at night; less cloud cover and all that
Sorry, I may had made that last one up.
So there you have it – my top ten reasons for sleeping / using the iPhone (Smartphone) at night…anymore lovely people?