This recipe was created by South African celebrity chef Reuben Riffel. Reuben enjoys featuring many delicious recipes from various countries to help others enjoy the delight that comes from each country. If you’re looking for an easy fruit pudding to make with your kids this one is it. Check out the recipe!
Today we are featuring a yummy fruit pudding for kids that could well become a new favourite in your home.
Plum and Almond Pudding
A simple South Africa pudding dish to make for your family.
- 1tsp butter
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
- 5 South African plums
- 2 large eggs
- 80g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 200ml milk
- 200ml single cream
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 2tbsp brandy
- 20g flaked almonds, plus a few extra
- Icing sugar, for sprinkling
- BRANDY CREAM:
- 100ml double cream
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 1/4tsp vanilla extract
- 2tbsp brandy
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4. Use the butter to grease a 1 litre baking dish.
- Heat 300ml water in a saucepan with half the caster sugar (30g), the cinnamon stick and 5-spice powder.
- When the sugar has dissolved add the plums and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use a whisk to beat together the eggs, flour, salt, milk, single cream, vanilla extract, and brandy. Add the remaining 30g sugar.
- Allow a few minutes for the sugar to dissolve.
- Stir in the almonds.
- Use a draining spoon to transfer the plums from the cooking liquid to the baking dish. Pour in the batter and bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, whip the cream in a chilled bowl until it holds its shape, then whisk in the sugar, brandy and vanilla extract.
- Serve the plum pudding sprinkled with icing sugar and a few extra almonds, accompanied by the brandy cream.
Consider making this with halved and pitted South African peaches in the future.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 567Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 120mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 2gSugar: 47gProtein: 9g
I am sure that you will agree that this looks rather yummy as a family dessert. Don’t forget to check out other dessert recipes we have.
Here are some more dessert ideas for the family for you.
Muffin is a lovely comfort food - but did you know you can sneak yummy veg into it too?
Black Forest meringue
We are sure you will agree that this dessert is one of the best - ever!
Coconut and raspberry loaf cake
Another great way the pair fruit in cake - so they kids don't know they are really being slightly healthier?!?
If you are looking for more pudding recipes – do check some of these ideas out from fellow kid bloggers too:
Monster Pumpkin Pie Pudding
Perfect for Halloween - but why not any time too?
EASY Homemade Chocolate Pudding • Binkies and Briefcases
This looks simply divine - who wouldn't want to sample a little bit of this chocolate pudding?
Instant Pot Chocolate Pudding Cake · The Typical Mom
If you are looking for something yummy and fast for pudding - check this out.
Get more ideas and resources from our site as soon as they are published. Don’t forget to subscribe as well.
Thank you for stopping by. Have a wonderful day with your family at home and visit us on Instagram.
Pin It For Later!