Impress your friends and family with these surprisingly easy to make but very delicious berry cream puffs.
Berry Cream Puffs
- 4 Co-operative free range egg yolks
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 25g plain flour
- 300ml semi skimmed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 320g sheet puff pastry
- 6 tbsp icing sugar, plus a little to dust
- 325g fresh fruit (eg 200g pack blueberries and 125g pack raspberries)
For the creme Patissiere:
For the pastry and fruit layers:
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/Gas 6. Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper. Whisk together the yolks and sugar. Stir in the flour.
- Put vanilla extract and milk into pan and bring up to a gentle simmer. Add the milk onto egg mixture and don't forget to whisk all the time.
- Put the mixture back into the pan and heat it up gently until the custard has thickened up and again, don't forget to stir. Set aside and leave it to cool, when cooled the creme patissiere is done.
- To make the pastry bigger roll it out. Cut into 3 long strips, then each strip, cut into 6 rectangles. Next thing to do is to place them on the tray, dust with icing sugar, chill for 30 minutes and then bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Assemble the cream puffs in alternate layers of pastry, creme patissiere and fruit, consisting of two layers for each cream puff. Top each one with a piece of pastry and dust with icing sugar.