Bored with the same old apple tarte tartin? Looking for a whole new tarte tartin vibe – then try this delicious Banana Tarte Tartin. Well worth the effort – impress family and friends with this delicious pud – yum! It looks fantastic and it tastes even better.
- 100g caster sugar
- 50g unsalted butter, cut into small squares
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 200g shop brought puff pastry
- To serve thick cream (mixed with vanilla and/or brandy optional)
- Preheat your oven to 200C/Fan 180C/Gas 6. In an ovenproof heavy based frying pan (around 20cm diameter) add 3 tbsp of water. Sprinkle over the sugar and for around 15 minutes, stir to heck the sugar has dissolved.
- On your hob, cook the sugar water gently over a medium heat, for around 5 minutes, or until the mixture has changed to a light caramel color. Remove from the heat, add the butter and stir.
- After peeling the banana, cut them in half length-ways. Place the banana slices cut side down in the pan, the pieces need to be close together in order to fit all 6 pieces in the pan.
- Roll the puff pastry and when it is around 5mm thick, cut it into a circle that is a little larger than the frying pan. Place it over the bananas - making sure to tuck the sides in.
- Place the pan in the oven for around 30 minutes, and remove when the pastry is cooked and golden. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, and then holding a large plate over the pan (it needs to be big enough to hold the tarte tartin), turn it over, being sure to use oven gloves as the pan will be very hot. Serve and enjoy!
Finally, don’t forget to check out our great Pinterest Board for more great cooking ideas!